Friday, March 1, 2013

The Weimaraner

 
As a weimaraner enthusiast myself, I couldn't help but do a post about my favorite dog breed. I could write a whole essay on weims for you, but to keep it brief let me just say this: weimaraners (pronounced WHY-MER-AH-NER) were originally bred in Germany and were first called Weimar Pointers. They are happy dogs that really want to please, but they are extremely high energy and need acreage to run on. They are great family dogs, but not with very young children just because they move a lot and get excited and may hurt a young child accidentally. They are also fabulous pointers with very strong instinct, even young pups will point without encouragement. According to the American Kennel Club they must always be light grey with short fur and amber eyes. However, many breeders are now breeding blue, black, and brown weimaraners, as well as long coated weimaraners.    

No comments:

Post a Comment